Saturday, December 12, 2009

Quilting for Christmas



My mother wanted a quilt top wall hanging for Christmas and I wanted an excuse to buy fat quarters, so it was a perfect combination! Unfortunately, she's kind of into the country primitive look lately, and she mailed me a couple pictures she'd clipped of the color combinations she liked - it's that sort of tea stained looking red, white and blue kind of look. Not what I'd choose for sure, but it'll make her happy!

I learned how to do the quick piecing method (where you cut the squares then sandwich them and sew two diagonal seams 1/4" from the center, then cut down that center line, to make perfect half squares, and then you can flip them and do it again for perfect quarter squares - you end up with fantastic triangles but never have to deal with sewing triangles together at all!) It was SO much fun!This is about 20"x20". I think I'll put some thin batting inside and put a back on it and use ribbons to tie it to a rod. Or, if I don't do that, then I don't actually have to quilt the thing. But the back isn't attractive, so I feel like I ought to do something and if I put a back on it seems silly to not quilt it, you know? I'll figure it out before Christmas!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I'm impressed! Your corners look great; your mom'll love it!

Carrie said...

Try warm and natural brand cotton batting. It works well for wall-hangings because it is not as poofy or fluffy as polyester batting. You can get it at Jo-Ann's or Hancocks by the yard on a wide bolt or sometimes they have wall-hanging sized pieces already cut in bags or packages. Kudos on learning a new crafty skill!