Monday, August 24, 2009

The christmas knitting monkey...

...is on my back! Even though I told myself I wouldn't get crazy with Christmas knitting this year, I feel myself doing it already. I planned the Rowan sweater for my favorite uncle plenty early, got the yarn, and started it - then got derailed by an irresistable test knit for Carol Feller. It's nearly finished. And now there's another test knit that I absolutely can't turn down - it's colorwork (hello? love!) and it's for Hannah Ingalls, and I can't wait to do it! I know it's still August, but still, the sensible thing would be to pare down my plans for gifts, but this time of year I just start adding them on, and on, and on! I definitely want to knit for my mom because she's the one who appreciates it and deserves it more than anyone else. I'm going to make her some thrummed mittens because she's got perpetually cold hands. However, that just doesn't seem like enough, you know? I fear that I'll make some rash decision to start on something like a 2000 yd. lace shawl for her 2 weeks before Christmas! Then there's my father's birthday on December 1st, which always catches me off guard because my mind gets fixated on the 24th. I want to make him a pair of socks because I can't ever think of anything else to get him - no wait! it's the standing gift of date bars (my grandmother's recipe) for his birthday, then socks for Christmas - ok, I just got a month back! Oh, and have you seen that new kit from Knit Picks for the ornaments and garlands? It's adorable. and so cheap! I ordered it. I'm already envisioning a strand of knit lights on my mantle! and of course that's also going to lead to little knit ornaments for my mom and sister-in-law too! I told myself I would not knit for the nieces or nephews - it's all just going to end up in a dog's mouth or on the garage floor eventually anyway. Buuut, my oldest niece is getting an American Girl doll for her birthday in October (and I decided I'd sew some clothes for her - pattern is in hand, but when am I going to get around to that? a week before? probably) and there are some pretty cute American Girl knit patterns on Ravelry. How long could that possible take? Gaaaaa! It's August - this is only going to get worse!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

resist, resist! Christmas knitting leads to stress! I am being bolstered by my successful yarn buying ban and am expanding to a gift knitting boycott (with the exception of my immediate family)

We can do it, stay strong!
Sarah

Dharma said...

You are a bad influence. The new woman ADORES all things christmas - as in about 12 boxes of holiday decor. Sigh. I might have to order that kit and surprise her.