Sunday, April 11, 2010

Look who's come home!


Or rather, look who taught me the value of cleaning up the stuff I have hanging in bags on the back of my dining room chair? Yeah! my Noro shawl!

I saw a bag hanging on my chair just a minute ago and thought "what's in that?" - it's pretty bad when something has been there so long it doesn't even look out of place anymore! ugh, i'm terrible. but yippe - no more tears over lost things!

One day when things were going crappily at work, I soothed my nerves by buying a stack of Kaffe Fassette fabric - I got a pack of 4" squares and a pack of 6" squares (both in the same color family - like 6 or 8 different prints of reds and fushcias.) Last weekend I started playing around with some quilt squares and after poring over one of the Fassett quilting books I checked out of the library, I sewed some together to make simple half squares. I also added in some fabric from a shirt I had, and loved, that ripped (which I realized when I was wearing it! real classy!) I put them together without a real plan as to what they'd be and then decided the piece wanted to be a pillow. I spotted some black and white gingham in my fabric stash (yes, that's why it pays to have stash fabric, and I'll never feel bad about it!) and decided it looked smashing against the florals.

I put some muslin on as a backing and quilted it up - with my old faithful Kenmore (I sent that Singer back!) and it was FANTASTIC! no fighting with it, no glitches! sure, there was no handy switch to drop the feed dogs - I had to use the little plastic plate that fits over them - very analog, but it WORKED! I took a picture of the quilting on the back side because I think it shows that I had a good time doing it (unlike the quilting on the baby blanket, which was full of anger and foul language. no baby deserves that! even though they do a lot of screaming themselves, but I digress.)

Then I thought, for the crowning glory, it needed some peacock blue pom pom trim!

I sewed it up today and I think it may well be the best pillow in the world. maybe the universe. I'm that happy with it!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I'm so glad you found it! Love the pillow as well and isn't it funny that the two things kinda match?