Saturday, February 9, 2008

Yeah, well my knitting's always the winner!

I know I promised to show my loot from the Milford antique shops, and while I'm still excited about doing that, it's occurred to me that I haven't really talked much about knitting.  I don't think I've talked about knitting at all.  I mean I've talked about buying yarn which kind of implies that I probably make something with the stuff, but that's about it.  Granted, my intake of supplies, both for knitting and sewing, often exceeds my output (definitely the case for sewing!) but dammit, I do knit every day and it's high time I make this knitting blog a knitting blog!  As much as I love the crazy old lady earrings I scored, my knitting is the winner! 

 So I've got a couple things going that don't seem to want to ever get off my needles, but that's probably because I abandoned them to make this:  It's the heart pillow from last February's Knit.1 but I used fingering weight wool (Jojoland - only $3 a ball at my LYS -  it's a steal!) instead of worsted because I really didn't want a 14" heart.  I mean crap, what do you do with something like that?  This is for the BF for valentine's day.  I'm thinking of making some kind of shrine out of a cardboard box and various scraps and baubles, just cause that'd be fun.  

Back to the stuff that won't get off my needles and let me move on (I've got my sights set on the Bird in Hand mittens, but in yellow and white instead of red and white.)  I've been working on my Tree Jacket, from the Zypher Girls, for what feels like forever, despite the fact that it's not at all difficult.  I tried it on the other day and it's about right at waist length - I'm going for a hip length, so there's not that much more to go.  I plan to do the sleeves on dpns and because everyone has commented on how big the sleeves are coming out, I plan to mod them to take advantage of that.  I'm not going to do any decreases and I'm going to make them 3/4 length, or elbow length (is that the same thing?) and add some 1x1 ribbing to draw them in and hopefully end up with a cute little puffed sleeve.  I'm using KnitPicks Andean Silk and it's totally the right stuff for this sweater - drapey, but not heavy and apt to pull out of shape.  I'm really anxious to have this finished - not only because it seems to not be getting any bigger despite my clacking needles, but also because I really want to wear it!  I'm also working on a pair of Jaywalkers.  Yeah, yeah, I know everyone in the world has made a pair or 12 of these, but I really do like them.  And they're pink.  and stripey.  It took me a while to cast on for the second sock, but I finally did just to say it was on the needles.  Last night I finally picked it up again made some significant progress so I feel like I can say I'm actually working on these again.   Alright, so that's it - only two projects on the needles, but I've vowed to not cast on for anything else until I get something finished.  In fact, I feel like wrapping this up so I can go move in that direction right now!  

No comments: