Friday, February 26, 2010

something for my next nephew!



I'm making a quilt!!!

Hopefully this one will be less wonky than my last baby quilt - I'm just going to assume that wonkiness decreases with practice! Obviously this is just the quilt top and it needs a bit more pressing, but I had to take pictures! I wanted to make it bright and fun instead of all baby and pastel-y - but that's mostly because it make me happy, I guess!

I went to JoAnn's today to get the white fabric and ended up with a whole earful of advice from a lady who worked there named Penny - she was kind of loud and very enthusiastic and she was one of those kinds of ladies who would grab your hands, or sometimes just your finger, when she'd talk to you. it was very endearing. and she really did help me. She talked me into some stuff that she called "minky" for the backing - which I would have never picked because it sort of borders on fleece, except that this stuff is stretchy and has more nap - and really does feel like what I assume a mink might feel like! Plus it was 60" wide which meant that even at $6.50/yard (which was the sale price!) I needed less than 1.5 yards. She said that she does a self binding so that the minky is wrapped around all the edges and the babies just love it. I think I would if I were a baby! So it's not really traditional, but I think it'll feel wonderful. Now I just have to do the wrestling with the batting and all that quilting. I think because it's pretty angular, i'm going to stick with that and do long straight lines down the length of the white pieces. Penny gave me advice on the top quilting part too - even drew me a little picture!, but I think I like the idea of sewing in the ditch of the blocks instead of doing radiating lines, as suggested. Oh, here's the part where I screwed up because I didn't have enough of the orange fabric, or the yellow - I'm telling myself it isn't horribly noticeable.

if you think it is, just don't tell me, ok? I prefer to live with my rose colored glasses on!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

I love bright colors for babies! It looks great!