Monday, July 9, 2012

crocheting like a tunisian!

Well, actually I learned that tunisian crochet isn't really from Tunisia, but whatever - I'm doing it!  I got 2 of the 3 hooks I ordered in the mail today so I started watching my Craftsy class taught by Jennifer Hansen.  She's a great instructor and somehow they get really  nice close camera shots when she's showing little things, like where to put your hook.  The first project is a spa cloth.  Because the hooks I got were the two bigger ones, I didn't go with the dk weight like the pattern is written for.  So hers is a beautiful silk dk weight spa cloth and mine is a big bulky weight cotton-from-a-cone rag!  That's ok though - it's pretty fun to do!  Here's what I've got so far:


Can you see the three different stitches?  The bottom part, and up the sides is simple tunisian crochet - it looks kind of woven, like little boxes.  Then there's a tunisian knit stitch - which looks just like a knit stitch!  Then there's a reverse tunisian crochet which looks like a purl stitch.  Those three stitches will make up the cloth - with concentric squares of each.  Tunisian crochet is really dense at normal gauge - like armor!  in fact, Jennifer Hansen designed a couple corsets for Vogue knitting that are tunisian crochet - I've seen the patterns but never noticed they were not knit!  I'm eager to get to the next lesson where we do multicolored things!  I think that's going to be similar to the stashbuster blanket that's on the Craftsy website!

Here are some great tunisian crochet garments for inspiration:  Anais (a cropped jacket), chain mail beret and cowl,

No comments: